WELCOME to the NFB of RI
The National Federation of the Blind is not an organization speaking for the blind, it is the blind speaking for themselves.
The NFB of Rhode Island is an affiliate of the National Federation of the Blind. With affiliates in all 50 states, plus Puerto Rico and the District of Columbia, the NFB is the largest and most influential membership organization of blind people in the United States.
NFBRI Comedy Night
June 19, 2015. We will be holding a Comedy Night to help raise funds for our summer BELL program. For location and ticket information, check out our Comedy Night page.
We would also like to extend our sincere appreciation to those who have donated to this event:
- TABLE SPONSORS: donating at least $100
- Centreville Savings Bank, 1218 Main Street, WestWarwick
- Walter M. Dzialo, DDS, 526 Newport Avenue, Pawtucket RI 02861, Ph: (401) 724-2570, www.DrDzialo.com
- Regan Heating and Airconditioning, 235 Georgia Avenue, Providence RI 02905, PH. (401) 461-8100, Fax: (401) 461-7910, www.reganhvac.com
- Bank Rhode Island, 1 Turkshead Place, Providence, RI 02903, (401) 456-5000, www.bankri.com
- Salon Panache, 1103 Park Avenue, Cranston, RI 02910, Ph: (401) 464-4044, www.salonpanache.com
- Empire Loan of Rhode Island Inc., 358 Broad Street, Providence, RI 02907, (401) 273-7050, www.empireloan.com
- Verrier Tree Service, (401) 397-3942, www.verriertree.com
- John Rocchio Corporation, 20 Lark Industrial Parkway, Greenville, RI 02828, (401) 949-5565
- Pawtucket Pawn, 261 Main Street, Pawtucket, RI 02860, (401) 728-3232, www.pawtucketpawnri.com
- Anchor Fuel Inc., 55 John Clarke Road, Middletown, RI 02842, (401) 619-2222, www.anchorfuel.com
- United HealthCare Community Plan, 475 Kilvert Street, Suite 310, Warwick, RI 02886
- Honey Dew Donuts, 670 Jefferson BLVD, Warwick, RI 02888
- Riverview Healthcare Community, 546 Main Street, Coventry, RI 02816-7848, (401) 821-6837
- Dr Raymond Mis, 215 Toll Gate Road, #201, Warwick, RI 02886, (401) 739-7345
- OTHER NFB BELL CONTRIBUTORS
- Parente's Oil Services, 770 Washington Street , Coventry RI 02816, (401) 821-6191
- Cranston Walmart Supercenter, 1776 Plainfield Pike, Cranston RI 02921, (401) 946-2030, www.walmart.com/store/1873
- Cumberland Lions Club
- Providence Lions Club
- Newport Lions Club
- Greater Providence Chapter
Once again, the NFB or RI will be awarding a scholarship to a worthy blind student at our state convention. For more details and to obtain an application, go to our scholarship page.
NFB BELL Program: RI Style
July 27 - August 7. The NFB of RI will be holding its first ever Braille Enrichmnet for Literacy and Learning Program. Designed to provide intensive braille instruction, this program will serve students who are not currently getting enough instruction in school, if at all. Information regarding this empowering program can be found on the BELL Program page.
October 23 & 24, 2015: Annual State Convention
Save the date! Our next convention has been scheduled. More details to come.
Chapters and Divisions
Chapter meetings are an excellent opportunity for those interested in learning more about the NFB and to meet NFB of RI members in-person and get to know what we are all about.
If you are interested in attending one of our meetings for the first time, or you have not attended a meeting in a little while, please contact the appropriate chapter to confirm time and location.
Greater Providence Chapter
The Greater Providence Chapter of the NFB of RI meets on the second Saturday of each month, except for the months of July and October.
Regular meetings are held at Parkway Towers, located at 10 Office Parkway, in East Providence. Meetings run from 10:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and they are preceded by a social half hour.
For more information, contact the Greater Providence chapter at (401) 484-5892.
Mount Hope Chapter
The Mount Hope Chapter of the NFB of RI meets on the third Thursday of each month, except for October and December.
Meetings are held at the Rogers Free Library, located at 525 Hope Street, in Bristol. Meetings run from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM, preceded by a social hour. Those using the Ride program should ask to be dropped off and picked up at the Thames Street entrance, located in the back of the building.
For more information, please contact the Mount Hope Chapter at (401) 380-6942 or via email: president (at) mhc (dot) nfbri (dot) org.
COME JOIN THE DISCUSSION!
You can join members of the NFB of Rhode Island, and others interested in blindness-related issues, on our SELF-HOSTED discussion list serve.
This email list is intended for the discussion of issues pertaining to the blind community of Rhode Island. General blindness-related topics are also welcomed.
To join this list, simply send a message with the word "subscribe" (without the quotes) in the body to:
You will receive two messages; a confirmation of your subscription and a welcome message with details and further instructions.
So sign up and come join the discussion!